Wednesday 2 January 2013

C’mon Eileen!

It’s new years day and in the Independent Sarah Cassidy reports on Eileen’s latest musings on Social Work post Rotherham Ukip debacle.

Eileen feels that we look like idiots because there is a culture of secrecy within Social Work and therefore we do not explain our decisions.

It would appear that Eileen was prompted to draw this conclusion from what happened in Rotherham and the fact that she hasn’t read the reasoning for the decision. I doubt she reads my blog, but Eileen if you are have a little look at this piece from the Guardian’s website on November 30th
I’m not surprised she didn’t read it, the media were already getting bored with the story and there was no interest in the actual facts of the decision so not much coverage was given to evening the story up. I am a little surprised that she didn’t take the time to check though before talking to the Independent. 
 
I can’t quite work out Sarah Cassidy’s piece because although it feels like yet another attack I do not believe that is what Dame Professor Monro intended. I think what Lady Professor Monro meant when she said Social Workers should be more transparent was, Local Authorities should be more transparent about the decisions Social Workers carry out on their behalf. I am sure Baroness Professor Monro realises that no Social Worker could talk to the media directly about a case.

I also feel confident that she did not mean to once again mention ‘Baby P’ and Khyra Ishaq and to define our entire profession by the failures in these cases.

Overall I do not believe for one moment that High Priestess Professor Monro made blindingly obvious, but slightly misinformed comments to the press in order to maintain her public profile. I’m just not sure what the point of her comments were though… answers on a postcard please

No comments:

Post a Comment